View Single Post
Old 06-04-2021, 05:25 PM
Frank Wakefield

Impulsive, that's what it was...

OK, because you owned it.

A bit of momentary craziness for cutting the card up...

I'm no fan of Kirby Puckett. I think the Hall should have never put him in. Numbers aren't strong enough, played to short a time, numbers he has are a bit skewed because of that trash bag ball park... and then there is the domestic violence. (And I know there are fanatical fans who adored his play and that ball park.) With that in mind, I just don't gather / collect KP cards. I understand that you didn't know about him until after you got the card.

So, I think that 'real crazy' would be to keep buying Chase cards so they could be cut up.

Maybe, next time, when you start hating on a player who's card you have, sell the card and then buy other cards or donate the card proceeds to a charity.

I think I've got an early OJ Simpson card, I have a Ben Chapman premium; I don't wanna cut them up. And I actually like Enos Slaughter, primarily because he was a Cardinal. He has stuff to say in When It Was A Game. I don't doubt that he didn't do a few things that would make me cringe today. Truly, we are all products of our times. Golly, I did stuff 55 years ago of which I'm not proud. I don't like to completely judge someone by the solitary one worst thing they ever did (maybe Chase did more that one thing). I think the better approach has such judgement being done with a totality of what a person has done.

Find an old time collector who knows the story about TCMA cards... Maybe it goes like this: Michael Aronstein collected ball cards and was wanting cards of old teams without spending a fortune. MA got some help from an uncle who had artistic skills. Then MA got together with Tom Collier, and the two of them would spend weekends going to card shows far and wide. They started producing cards, TCMA... They also collected and traded old cards. As the story might go, at one point the wife of one of them was fed up with her husband going to card shows on weekends instead of being with her. She knew her husband loved his cards. He returned home after a long weekend trip to find that his wife had dug out his valuable old cards and cut each card in half, leaving the halves laying on their bed... maybe.

Just didn't want anyone to not know about other ways cards could get cut, if a bit of momentary craziness sets in.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 06-04-2021 at 05:32 PM.