View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 10:03 AM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fballguy View Post
For those intrigued by the late 60, early 70s, oddball and bootleg pennants...I found this picture pretty interesting.

1) I love finding lots of pennants from the same series/maker and it appears that is the case here. I recognize many Adflag designs. Are they all Adflag? The Astros, Expos, Royals, Padres appear to be similar to each other but not the others.

2) Many depict styles that are often attributed to earlier decades. This lot is clearly from the very late 60s or more likely early 70s. I know at least a few of these have felt counterparts and designs were often used over years so not really surprising. But is that the case here or are these copies/bootlegs? Hard to see for sure, but I don't see makers marks on any of them. The Mets for sure screams bootleg to me.

3) None have a MLB trademark. By the early 70s, were they mandatory? Was Adflag exempt from using one?

4) They are all monochrome which is a hint to Ad Flag, but Ad Flag started to produce multi colored pennants in the 1960s. Did they go back to monochrome or always continue to produce them?

5) If you're as interested in this as I am, raise your hand.
I believe this group was made in the Chicago area. This “style” were one of the larger pennant collections I purchased in the past. There was an equal “quality” football style as well. I purchased probably 100-200 pennants like this from a guy whose family were vendors in the 50’s and 60’s time selling between both Wrigley and Comiskey park as well as in Milwaukee. If I remember correctly the guy was in southern Wisconsin. I never saw the Rangers style, but I had many of the others. They were all that later 60’s felt, not the stiffer synthetic stuff from that era. These were all unsold stock that had been sitting for years.