Thread: JSA exemplars
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Vince - I can understand you appreciating the actions of PSA here.
I tell people that when they ask me to authenticate an autograph that I have no familiarity with or no exemplars.
My question to you is, why did you send the item to PSA when they had no exemplars?
Richard - wrong choice of words on my part. I did not send my autograph to either PSA/DNA or JSA. I just wanted to recognize (in a positive way) that PSA/DNA at least admitted to not having an exemplar.

My inquiry to PSA/DNA and JSA was based on my inability to locate the ballplayer's name among the respective fee schedules on each of the websites. When I initially contacted both companies, each responded with a price to authenticate. Given the obscure nature of the autograph, I wanted to avoid a situation where I submitted my item (therefore paying for an opinion + postage & insurance), only to find out later they were unable to authenticate due to failure to have the necessary exemplar(s). Worse yet, the refund policy was unclear to my feeble mind. In cases where authentication was not possible, would I only be offered credit towards future authentication services, instead of a cash refund? Since I rarely use these services, a credit would have been useless to me.

Long story short, I just wanted to avoid a possible situation where I'm out cash, and failed to get the pursued opinion.