View Single Post
Old 02-25-2024, 06:52 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Had a bit of a bizarre time at a card show today, and in the end 'only' walked away with four cards.

I had a decision to make...
With everything stupidly overpriced at every table, do I spread money out and grab a few different cards I want at SMH prices...or do I find my go-to dealer and negotiate a way to spend it all in one place on a single, awesome card?? I went with option B and got this 1963 Topps #200 Mickey Mantle beauty (look at the centering!!) for a heckuva lot less than what recent SGC 5s have gone for, plus he agreed to throw in the really sweet and high-grade-eligible 1971 Torre and Brooksie cards, too. (Side note: come on, Topps!!! You couldn't zoom in a little more on #5 to make sure he DIDN'T look like a tiny cigarette butt in endless sand?? It was an epic World Series play!!! You should've done better!!)

And the 1971 Topps #513 Nolan Ryan is a little tricky. It looks awfully beautiful and I couldn't understand why someone hadn't snapped it up already (it had a surprisingly low price sticker on it) by the time I got there. Being no fool, I asked the guy, "Okay, what's wrong with it?" He chuckled as he handed it to me and said, "It's got a groove in it, in the film (I assumed he meant "gloss"). Not a crease or anything, but it's something strange." And sure enough, when you 'scangle' it in the light, it has this groove in the gloss that doesn't reach the card image itself. I said what the hey and made him a lowball offer, explaining that whatever it is, you have to assume whoever grades the card will have to deem it something along the lines of a wrinkle or crease, and he nodded his head in agreement and accepted my offer. It's centering is terrific, and the focus is outstanding, so it's a cool pickup.

1963mantle200SGC5X.jpg
1971ryantorrerobinsonrobbery02.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 02-25-2024 at 08:33 PM.