View Single Post
Old 04-05-2021, 08:42 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Taylor---I have no independent knowledge as to the source of the photos used in the World Wide 1933 Negro All Star set beyond the statement in the 2011 Standard Catalog that they came from the Sporting News Conlon files. I do agree that those 12 photos have a different look from those that serve as the basis for the other Conlon set

On the 3d 1991 Conlon set I need some clarity of what I am missing. I have one set where the first 67 cards have HOF and a year in a banner on the front of the cards, and the backs of those 67 have a copyright for both The Sporting News and Curtis Management. For cards 68 to 330 there is no HOF banner on the front and only The Sporting News copyright is on the backs. None of the 330 cards has the MLB logo.

The second set also has the HOF banners on the first 67 cards but also has the MLB logo in addition to the copyrights for The Sporting News and Curtis Management. From 68 to 330 there are no HOF banners but they do have the MLB logo and the Sporting News copyright ( No Curtis Management ).

Walk me through the makeup of the 3d set
Al,

Randy's pics above show the examples of the the 3 printings better than I described. With cards 68-330 it is at least difficult if not impossible to tell the difference between the first and second printing, since the only noticeable difference is the "Hall of Fame" vs "HOF - date" on the front of the first 67 cards. The backs are identical for the first and second printing.

Regarding Conlon NL photos. I have no direct knowledge either way as well, but was wondering if this was more of an assumption due to legend and/or poor record keeping on the TSN part that was then included in the SC as well. I'm not aware of any early NL 'type' photos from Conlon, though I am by no means an expert in that area. Just that I haven't seen any and the look/feel of the photos used for the NL cards is different from all the other Conlon photos I've seen. I would expect that any Conlon NL Type I photos would bring huge money.

Definitely a lot of Conlon material came out in the '90s. There is a Conlon 3 ring binder as well for the collection.