View Single Post
Old 08-04-2005, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Default Middy Bread Question - Urgent Plea for Help

Posted By: Paul

I just picked up my first ever 1927 Middy Bread die-cut card on ebay, the Ernie Nevers. I'm concerned it may be a reprint, and hope that some of you can help me figure it out for sure. The Standard Catalog says it should be about 4" tall and is similar to the 1926 Kut-Out set. My Nevers is slightly under 3" tall and is dwarfed by my Kut-Out card.

I know Larry Fritsch reprinted these cards, but his weren't die cut. They were on 2.5" x 3.5" rectangular black stock. My Nevers is probably about the same height as the pictures on the Fritsch reprints, which is obviously a concern. I have examined mine very carefully to see if it was cut out of a Fritsch reprint. I don't see any evidence of any remnants of the black background, but I suppose it is still possible it was cut from a Fritsch reprint. Also, the "made in the USA" legend is a little blurry, making me a litttle concerned my card is second generation.

Have any of you ever personally seen a Middy card in person? Do you know whether they are actually 3" tall, rather than 4"?

I really want to resolve this quickly in case I need to return the card to the seller. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Paul