View Single Post
Old 12-29-2020, 10:20 PM
Adam Wan.aselja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASF123 View Post
Yeah, I spent some time reading a very long Blowout thread on the trimming scandal to educate myself. I have to say, as someone who hasn't been in the hobby for years to get acculturated to PSA and the other TPGs as they were taking over, it's astounding to me that they have any credibility at all, let alone the power to determine the market that collectors allow them to have.

I get the desire for "standardized objective" grading to facilitate transactions, but man, their execution is poor and their business model seems to be just one bad incentive after another.

That Griffey trimming is absurd - as is the fact that someone will pay almost $200 for a 1991 Ken Griffey Jr. just because some (clearly incompetent or corrupt) guy at PSA put a 10 on the slab instead of an 8 or a 9.

Coming back to the hobby and seeing this is like, I dunno, moving back to your hometown after being gone for 25 years and finding that they've elected a ferret as the mayor or something. And the ferret is in its fifth term, with an 80% approval rating.
This really made me laugh. Great post.