View Single Post
Old 06-22-2021, 05:46 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadeast View Post
It should be added that Lombardi's backup catcher Willard Hershberger committed suicide during the 1940 season in the exact same way, slitting his throat with a razor in a hotel bathroom. Those demons stayed with Lombardi and clearly had something to do with his own suicide attempt. I'm sure someone here knows a lot more about that story than I do.
I brought up Lombardi as a gate to the idea that some athletes have problems transitioning away from stardom. Accepting endorsements is not the same as winning batting titles, or World Series. Lombardi's own GM Warren Giles didn't like him, and actively lobbied to keep him out of the HOF.

This is not alienated to Lombardi alone, it affects many individuals. Any retiree has a hard time transitioning to life after work - "how do I make my life meaningful?"
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo