View Single Post
Old 04-13-2020, 11:16 AM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
"Preferred by those who like it best."

That about sums it up. Me, personally, I am not a fan of a butt-ugly RC over a slightly later beautiful classic card. If you had to own a card that you could never sell, just enjoy, would you rather have a Howe Parkhurst RC or a 1954 Topps? I know how I answered that question:
I'll tell you what happened: for about ten years, there wasn't a single hockey set issued in Canada. So, when the 51' Parkies came out, they were a huge hit. And yes, in comparison to the other hockey cards issued during this period, I would say that they are very ugly indeed. They are small in size, have blank backs, very little color, registration issues, centering issues - the list goes on and on. But what makes this set so popular is the fact that ninety-two percent of it consists of rookies. For example, Rocket Richard entered the league in 1942, and Gordie Howe in 1946, but because there were no sets issued during those years, this means that their rookies didn't come out until 1951.

The 1954 Topps set is stunning to look at. This set has all the qualities that the 51' Parkies are missing. However, the one issue - a huge issue - with this set is the fact that only the American teams were printed. So, in other words, there were no Canadiens and no Maple Leafs. Boston, Chicago and New York were crappy teams during this period. Detroit dominated the league from 1950 to 1955, so this is the only team that stands out from this set.

Anyhow, the 54' Topps Howe was always on my mind, and now I have decided to add it to my 1950s list which can be found below:

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...47#post1970747