View Single Post
Old 04-27-2021, 11:46 AM
M@rk Lu7z

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_master View Post
Here's as close as I found. Appears that the font of the 125 and other markings is identical. This one I had originally dated as 1921-22, as that coincided with Fonseca's first two years in MLB with the Cincinnati Reds. Could have been a bit earlier though, I suppose. Would depend on when he signed his contract with H&B. (I owned this Fonseca in 2011)

If it stands that mine is a 1921-22 and we know there are bats from 1922 with "Made In USA" in the center label after it replaced the -.- below, then I would make the logical conclusion that your bat is likely a 1922 transition bat.

Attachment 454775
Attachment 454774
Tim, you've got a very keen eye for fonts, among other things. What you say makes sense. Thanks!

I've got at least 1 bat from around 1920 with a similar font. You've opened up a new line of research for me. I notice that the brand in my bat seems to wrap around the bat, maybe because the barrel is relatively thin. (35 in. 33 oz.). Maybe they quickly stopped using this label because it doesn't really fit the more tapered bats of the early 20's?