View Single Post
Old 10-22-2022, 08:24 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
What was the annual return of SPY in the same periods, can you add that in for comparison? At least for first to last dates.
Welp!

I'm a bit hesitant to share the results, primarily because someone might draw some conclusions based on data that is selective and only representative for the window presented.

Additionally, the cardboard pieces presented here are not necessarily representative of the entire cardboard market, as these are hand-selected major pieces from HOF players. At the same time, if we're being honest, these cards are likely to have a fairly robust market in terms of trading volume, so the market is unlikely to be manipulated by spurious outliers, at least in general barring shenanigans. I also haven't dug into the data presented by the earlier poster to evaluate whether there was any cherry picking of cardboard data points that might influence the data here.

Part of the fun is that if you bought stocks in 2007, you were buying high, and it took a while to come back after the great recession. Another part of the fun is that stocks have performed poorly over the last 6 months, so your returns are down if you're selling today.

There were certainly some windows where stocks did better here. And some where they did worse than these specific cardboard pieces. Maybe in another decade, we can look back at people who bought cardboard in 2021 or 2022 and see how they did relative to investing in the market. We might very well get some different results considering the relative current strength in these markets.

Without further ado, here's another sweet spreadsheet to stare at on your screen, until you go cross-eyed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (173.7 KB, 86 views)

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 10-22-2022 at 08:39 PM.