View Single Post
Old 04-21-2020, 12:28 PM
Todd Schultz

Thanks for the tips guys-- I realize I have seen a few of those already and had forgotten.
Steve, I'm going to cut and paste a "review" of that documentary on the Band in a second--that I found in less than 30 seconds of google search. I have no clue if the things asserted are true and take no position. It just makes me skeptical of whether some of these are written with an agenda, but I guess that's true of anything historical that is presented from just a one or two person viewpoint. This is from someone posting under the name Michael Kennedy:

"Clearly, Robertson is counting on viewers being completely ignorant of the actual history of The Band, because this movie is an exercise in historical revision. Roberson warps the story through the omission of some very vital facts and by glossing over important details. He never mentions the fact that he took, and continues to take all the song royalties although other band members contributed to the songs and deserve payment. Subsequently, he made a lot of money, while others became destitute. Or the fact that after The Last Waltz was performed the others continued as The Band. They didn't want it to end. The Band didn't break up - Robertson quit. He is right about the drug use among the band members. It was ugly, and destroyed the harmony of the brotherhood. But Robertson seems to glosses over his own drug use In particular all the coke he and Martin Scorsese used while editing The Last Waltz (other band members were not included in the editing of the film). Perhaps that's why he is so prominently featured in the movie, while other band members - Richard in particular - have hardly any screen time. Robertson is great on a guitar, but he can't sing very well. The others were actually singing the songs (Although it looked like Robertson was singing in the film, I've read his microphone was turned off.) Also, there is no mention of Richard's suicide, or that Rick died of illnesses because of his terrible lifestyle and lack of money. Levon Helm, who went on to a very successful film and award winning music career, far more successful than Robertson, is treated as a footnote. Once Were Brothers is a movie by Robertson, about Robertson, with members of The Band as secondary characters. His praise for his ex-wife makes it look like they are both happy and harmoniously together, although there was a very ugly divorce decades ago. The movie is a good exercise in self promotion, but a thin biography of The Band. Garth Hudson, the only other living member of The Band, refused to have anything to do with this film. Smart man."
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.