View Single Post
Old 08-04-2021, 10:08 AM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
1987 Topps. My dad bought me my first pack, and I was enthralled. Those wood grain borders, the brittle gum, the anecdotes and statistics on the back. That summer would mark my first year of little league, and I had baseball fever. From that point on, I would ride my bike down to the corner gas station, we called it Petrol Point, and buy a new pack whenever I scraped a few quarters together. It's still one of my all time favorite sets.
1987 Topps was where I started as well. I had some Garbage Pail Kids from the year before, but my mom felt that they were inappropriate for a seven-year-old. So to make up for it she bought me some baseball cards. At the time, I was confused because some of the older kids on my street had some 1986 Topps cards, and I liked the design better. So I kept looking for what I thought would be 1986 cards, but kept turning up the wood-bordered 1987 cards. I eventually figured it out. My dad took me to a card show in late 1987 and bought me both the 1986 and 1987 Topps sets. Once I got hooked, he unveiled to me a stack of 1963 Topps cards that he had picked up at a garage sale the year I was born. When I got back into collecting 12 or so years ago, I started with that stack of 1963 Topps and completed the set. I love hearing these stories.