View Single Post
Old 08-24-2020, 08:47 PM
P.aul Orl,in

Newsflash....too late, it has already happened. You need to consider all you are afraid of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailes2872 View Post
For the life of me, I can't understand why people are using it as an investment. By the time you pay 22% buyers premium on the buy side and 10% commission on the sell side (assuming no discount rate is given), it is tough to even break even. If you add to the fact that capital gains rate on collectibles is 28% - more than the tax rate for married filing jointly up to $326,600 (24%) - cards as an investment make other people money but it is tough to break even - even after holding onto the cards for a few years.

Somewhere along the way, the collection moves from a hobby to an asset class. I don't want to have to go to a safe deposit box to visit my collection. I don't want to have a ton of value in the house and have them at risk for fire or theft. This thread has me thinking long and hard about what to do in the future. For the first time, I have been clicking on the consign now banners and investigating what that means. It is something that I wouldn't have even thought to consider even a year ago.