View Single Post
Old 07-02-2022, 05:51 PM
Bob C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I bought this non-functional 1921 Exhibit machine:

And decided to restore it myself for a display piece (the mechanism and back cover were gone, and I did not bother to restore them). I hammered out the worst dents, removed/cleaned/replaced the hardware, sanded/cleaned the machine, repainted with a green hammered metal finish, then used one of my favorite items to create a display card:

Now sits proudly in my office reception area. As I recall, it took maybe 20 hours altogether, not counting research time.

I am all for restoring a shit-hammered piece when the alternative is the item is a loss or an unseemly mess.

i once hired a movie poster restoration company to conserve a rare wrestling poster that was folded and falling apart. It is an on-site poster from the 1950s of former heavyweoght champ Primo Carnera from his wrestling days. Had it de-acidified and mounted on linen. I lost money when I sold it, but the poster was really special, so it didn't really bother me.

Before:

I don't have the 'after' but the poster edges were actually intact, just folded under.
Fantastic looking restoration job. Well done!