View Single Post
Old 05-18-2023, 12:21 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottglevy View Post
Quality company. Quality product. It’s a bit of a gamble to buy something that’s described as NMMT and actually expect a slabbed “8”. But the cards should be roughly in line with the described grades - which is more than I can say for most raw card sellers.

Most smaller-time raw card sellers on eBay don’t even bother with pretending to guess at condition anymore. “See pics for condition” is a tired one, but I’ve had to just quit rolling my eyes at that kind of thing. If it’s not a trusted seller or if the person cannot be bothered to even hazard a guess on a raw card - I usually just move on.

Greg Morris seized the market space that someone inevitably was bound to when he proved that he could be consistently competent at raw grading, in a space where the prevailing wisdom was to buy graded since you cannot trust raw, or more importantly those selling raw cards. I think this was good for the hobby. Grading has changed things sure, but Greg proved that there was still space for those who can grade competently and conservatively without everything having to be in a slab. I realize that many buy the high end raw cards he sells only with the intention of sending them off to PSA, but it’s nice to know if grading isn’t necessarily your thing, that you can buy from GM and be generally confident that whatever you bought will arrive in the condition you expect it to.