View Single Post
Old 02-06-2021, 07:53 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
If you go back and look at your Paypal transactions for those refunds, you will find that Paypal has not refunded the fees on those in well over a year. They'll refund whatever portion you like to the buyer, but they keep the fees for the original payment regardless. If you refund the buyer in full, you will go into the red on the Paypal fees.

Similarly with eBay, they do not refund Final Value Fees on partial refunds, regardless of whether you are in Managed Payments or not. Even prior to Managed Payments, the only way they would refund the FVF's is if the transation was cancelled or refunded in its entirety. There may be some way you can call and talk a representative into refunding the fees on a partial refund, but it does not happen automatically.

As far as I can tell with Managed Payments, because they no longer parse out payment processing fees vs Final Value Fees, if you refund a buyer in full, you get those fees back in full so that everyone is back to zero. On partial refunds though, eBay does not state anywhere that I have seen that they will ever refund those fees, and are generally silent on the matter as far as I can tell.
As a bit of a correction / update to what I posted above, I found recently that when sending a refund where multiple items are involved, you are given the option to enter an "order level refund" or a refund of individual items. Each item price in the order is shown with a proportional amount of the shipping included, without a separate line for shipping. The natural inclination if sending a partial refund for shipping is to just enter the refund amount as an "order level refund." As I said previously, this will never result in you getting the FVFs associated with that refund back. However, if you subtract a refund from the individual items above, and it zeroes out any of those items, eBay apparently views that as that item being fully-refunded, and does refund the FVFs associated with that item to the seller.

I had an instance recently where I had a certain amount to refund that a buyer had overpaid, but when I started looking at the fees that would or would not be refunded, it was of greater benefit to me to send a larger refund to the buyer in order to zero out an item, because the fees associated with that item were larger than the incremental increase in refund that I was sending. Silly games to have to play, but every little bit helps.

When sending a refund, the refund amount you send is subtracted from your next pending payout (or withdrawn from your bank account if the next pending payout is insufficient to cover the refund). Any FVF's refunded to the seller appear as credits on their next monthly invoice.

With eBay's recent announcement that for recent inductees into Managed Payments that ALL fees would come out of pending payouts, this may change. For the moment at least, for those who were in Managed Payments prior to October 2020, the monthly invoices for Store Subscription fees continues.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/fe...redits?id=4128
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Credits 1.JPG (63.6 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg Credits 2.JPG (68.4 KB, 179 views)
File Type: jpg Credits 3.JPG (60.0 KB, 178 views)