View Single Post
Old 12-01-2019, 05:12 PM
Alan Strout

Default 2020 Collecting Goals

Hi folks,

Fairly new to the forum, but never took the time to introduce myself to most of you. I'm a life long Orioles fan and collector. I guess my collecting theme would be the history of the Baltimore Orioles franchise (1954-present). I especially enjoy team issued stuff. My goal for 2020 is to continue the work on several projects that might be impossible for me to ever finish, but I enjoy the hunt and all the folks I meet along the way.

In no particular order..

1. 1954-2019 Baltimore Orioles team issued postcards – I currently have 2712/2862. I collect all the variations. About half of the last 150 postcards I need will be a slow process. Most of them are the same B&W glossies from the 1950’s that are on most Orioles postcard collectors wantlists. The rest show up from time to time.

2. Orioles Photos – I am trying to get B&W 8x10 Head Shots of everyone to ever appear in a regular season game for the Orioles. The catch is that they have to be in their Orioles uniform. I prefer chest to head photos, but at this point will accept action shots. Here’s who I have left – Babe Birrer, John Buzhardt, Grady Hatton, Sam Jones, Buddy Peterson, Roger Marquis and Wally Westlake. Some of these guys are easy to find in another uniform, just not the O’s. I do have photocopies of Hatton, Peterson and Marquis. So there’s still hope.

3. Minor League Programs – One of my big collecting goals is to acquire home programs of every Orioles minor league affiliate from 1954 to present. I’m about 90% complete, but again most of the teams I have left are defunct obscure teams from the 50’s. I’ve posted my current wantlist previously. I’m especially looking for Stockton Ports programs from the 1960’s. I do know of several programs I need that are in other collections – 1955 Pine Bluff Judges, 1961 Ardmore Rosebuds, 1965 Fox Cities Foxes and the 1966 Batavia Trojans. Probably not a lot of value, but great history of the franchise.

Along the same line, I still need a few Orioles spring training programs from the 1950's. I've got all the regular season and postseason programs I'm aware of.

4. Orioles Baseball Cards – Probably my most attainable goal this year is to finish some Orioles teams sets I’m working on. Picky about condition, which slows the process.

1963 Jello (need 63 Snyder, 65 Pappas)

1971 Kelloggs master set (need 35 Paul Blair XOGRAPH back)

1972 Milton Bradley (need 5 cards)

O-Pee-Chee – 1965 (need 3), 1967 (need 5), 1968 (need 1), 1974 (need 7), 1976 (need 1)

Venezuelan sets – 1964 (need 1), 1966 (need 3), 1967 (need 1)

Good luck to everyone with their collecting goals. Love the forum and seeing what everyone enjoys, even if it's not something I collect.

Alan Strout