View Single Post
Old 12-06-2009, 08:35 AM

With the disclaimer that I didn't make it to VF this weekend, I agree that the last few shows have been largely a letdown. While nothing is what it once was, and the scene that was Willow Grove or even the first few Ft. Washington shows is a thing of the past, there is still much more high end and collector-grade vintage than is being brought to the Philly show now.
Many of the E/T/N/R cards at the show have been the same over-priced and/or over-graded examples that dealers haven't sold for multiple shows. As a collector, there isn't much point in trying to do business with a guy trying to get 75.00 for a common T205 that has multiple creases and paper loss. It'll be there in March, and I won't buy it then, either.
Having said that, I fully understand the dealers' dilemma. Add together the table cost, transportation, food and lodging and time away from websites and stores, and the cost of doing business at the show must be imposing, at the least. It's no wonder many of them have opted out.
I will continue to go to the shows, but with decreased expectations for picking up pre-war cards. I think it will still be a good spot to say hello to Ted Z., Kevin Savage and others, set-build post-war cards, pick up supplies and maybe get a couple of cards graded. Anything more than that will be nice but not expected.