View Single Post
Old 12-10-2009, 11:07 AM

I don't think it's so much about an autograph show since there are usually only a handful of guests over the weekend but the guests perhaps bring in people that wouldn't ordinarily go to the show. In March, when I last went, they had Mays, Robinson and McCovey on Saturday and the show was fairly well attended while the collectors stayed away from the autograph guests because of the unrealistic prices.

The old days were well attended because of the excitement over new current products. The Internet world has changed everything. Rarely will you go to a show like this and see something you haven't seen in a printed catalog before and if it is offered for sale, would you tackle that price? Especially since every dealer there has an "exit strategy" now, that they didn't before.

You used to be able to make a wild offer on a Sunday and maybe get a deal, but today, with eBay and auction houses, you can get that price down the road or even almost immediately with eBay. Shows are "In Person Buy It Nows" and Auction Previews. In saying all of the above, I still enjoy going and talking to dealers, sellers and friends.

DanC