View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 07:32 PM
I@n Cl@rke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookiemonster View Post
Dan Marino was by no means a mobile QB . But he had the best intuition I ever seen . With one step forward , back or to either side he gave him self new life .
This is a lost art in the NFL . Eli , Peyton are statues and always have been . There father was a great moble QB . I guess not everything gets passed down ( pun intended ) .
Funny, I was going to mention Marino in there too... super quick release and decisive. Warner was similar, though never as good evading the rush.

I agree regarding importance of those short shuffle steps, however partly disagree regarding Peyton. He always had very good feet, especially when he was young. Brady, who is also super slow in a straight line, has always had quick nimble feet in the pocket as well. There are shuffle drills being hammered into modern QBs (similar to how coaches drill DBs on their drops-- back pedal, left, right, left, etc, then drive to the ball), idea being to allow them to evade rush with minimal effort/movement, while always, always remaining in position to keep eyes down field and throw.