View Single Post
Old 08-25-2007, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Default Your best find at an Estate Auction

Posted By: Keith

Dan's brother's Ed Weir find got me thinking (not even sure if it was an estate auction find), but what was the best thing you ever found on estate auction. I know I personally acquire things 1 of 4 ways, estate auctions, ebay, flea markets/yard sales/house sales, or auction houses like hunts, mastro, etc.
I go to a ton of estate auctions and have found some decent stuff over the years.
My favorite find (maybe not the most valuable) was a group of memoriblia from St Marks School and Yale from around 1907. The group included a fantastic Spalding melon football with the year 07 painted on 1 side, and the score of a game between St Marks and Milton on the opposite, 4 St Marks football photos, 2 St marks baseball photos, and 1 1908 Yale football team cabinet. I later acquired from another source from the same estate a dual framed St Marks photo with the trophy ball that I have being held by the captain, a Saint Marks Football sweater, and a sterling silver Saint Marks award medal for Athletics. All of the items belong to Alfred Biddle and Julian Cornell Biddle who played football at St Marks and then Yale.

My dads best estate auction pickup is a 1928-29 team signed ball by the Phila A's including sigs of Ty Cobb, Lefty Grove, Connie Mack, Jimmie Foxx.

I look forward to hearing some the other guys better estate auction finds.