View Single Post
Old 01-30-2021, 01:49 PM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
Don't forget, (if you knew?) I was given 148 Topps cards to begin with, including my Mantle, Mays and Robinson, so it's not like I began from scratch. I definitely had an advantage over others as I had some equity/value built up before I even began on my own.

Based on the cards I collected outside of those 148, I tried to collect cards that fit the condition of those the best I could. Some are nicer, some are worse, but most are around the 2-4 range with a few 5's here and there thrown in.
I remember you telling me you got a decent size lot to start your set.

I don't think I have any regrets about any cards I have purchased. I have always looked for cards with decent eye appeal with certain criteria - no rips, pinholes, paper loss or writing (front or back), and no part of another card visible. Many of my cards have creases, corner wear, etc, but I always try to buy a card that I am happy with instead of buying to fill a hole and then planning to upgrade later. That never seems to work out well so once I buy something, I'm usually planning on keeping it.

Lately, I have more regrets about cards I didn't buy because trying to buy them now is going to cost a lot more than it would have when I had the chance before.