View Single Post
Old 11-12-2020, 08:21 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
This kind of stuff has been going on since the inception of eBay. Here is a story, and every word true. I feel that I might be responsible for an eBay policy change. Some years back before I retired from the Navy, I watched several bidders go into a feeding frenzy over a book I owned, entitled "Battle Report - Pearl Harbor to the Coral Sea", which I bought for something like $10 in mint condition with dust jacket. It was and still is a common and available book. These people finally concluded bidding at $610. I contacted the runner-up bidder, and via PM's, he aggressively stated he wanted my book. When I asked what price, he said, well, since the eBay bidding went to $610, how about $600? I agreed, and sure enough, he sent a cashier's check in that amount. I could not in clear conscience cash that check. I returned the check, and the book, to him along with a letter stating the facts about this book, it's true value, and a request for the $10 I paid for the book. The lesson learned here is an old one, a fool and his money are soon parted. They are surely out there, and unscrupulous sellers on eBay only hope they come along. More often than not, they do.
So did you sell one book or 2?

Back in the day when eBay was new people like me did cause new eBay rules. I had many multiples of cards that were considered rare at the time. I would list them at the lowest price I would sell a card for. Then message every bidder and offer them another but same card for their high bid. So from one listing I could easily sell several cards and only pay eBay fees on one card.