View Single Post
Old 11-19-2020, 02:34 PM
Chevrons and Diamonds

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlywynnfan View Post
Here is a seller to avoid: plentyofcoup

He is selling a WWII baseball flannel that he attributes to Chuck Stevens here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123

The first time I asked him how he attributes it to the major-league playing Stevens, he ignored me. After my second question, he got rude and has completely avoided the question, which obviously leads me to believe he has no link whatsoever besides what's written in marker in the pants.

To me: arrogant personality + unsubstantiated story = stay away. Too bad, it's a nice looking uni.

Ken
earlywynnfan5@hotmail.com
Sorry to dredge up a very old post but...the "Chuck Stevens" uniform reared its head again with the Davis Brothers Auction house of Montana. Having spent more than a decade researching baseball militaria, players and games, I fully concur that this uniform is questionable. While I do believe the uniform was made and used by the 6th FG squad, there is nothing to tie this to Chuck Stevens who wore number 10 in his two seasons at the Long Beach, CA ATC ferrying command. This uniform appears to be from 1945 after all the major leaguers were dispersed (predominantly to Hawaii and then to the Western Pacific). No player wore #14 in 1943-44 when the major leaguers were there.

Also, having direct contact with the Stevens family, there is no provenance from them as this uniform was never in Chuck's hands when it first came to market. I own a very substantial collection from Stevens' estate that came directly from his estate's heir.

Could the trousers have been worn by Stevens in 43-44? It is possible. The jersey definitely was not worn by him. It is a great set for a baseball militaria collector (like me) and I certainly bid on it when it was listed in late summer 2020, but only as a team uniform example rather than one from Stevens.

Chevrons and Diamonds