View Single Post
Old 12-23-2020, 05:11 PM
Steve

Default '53 Topps

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsagain74 View Post
Al, those kinda extras are coming soon for one of the other sets. Usually I just have base cards, but it's always good for a collection to have a unique exception.

Everyone is welcome to share their own along the way as well
John: Enjoyed reading the anecdote about the '53 Topps set. I too was just nine years old when I pulled some of those cards from waxpacks. I have to say that I did not care much for them at that time, however, because I really loved the Bowman issue from that year and thought the Topps cards were kind of cheesy in comparison. In fact, when I restarted my collection in my second childhood in the early '80's, I disdained Topps and went after the Bowman sets. Odd memory I have of that came at a card show in '83. As I was leaving late at night, I stopped to flip through an open binder of '50's cards on the last table and was strangely mesmerized by two '53 Topps commons: Jim Waugh and Charlie Bishop. Apparently, a couple of long buried brain cells that were imprinted with those two names and images suddenly fired and I had a deja vu recall of pulling those specific cards from a pack thirty years earlier. Feeling like a nine-year-old suddenly flush with resources, I gave the dealer a ten spot for about fifty commons as a starter lot and eventually put together a reasonably priced EX condition set.