View Single Post
Old 05-20-2021, 05:30 AM
Jonathan Sterling

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
I appreciate your trying to discourage collectors from running to flea markets to pick up fake posters or display pieces. This really has little or no relevance to whether the actual pictures were issued by General Gum.

I never said the R310's MUST be a General Gum product, only that there is evidence they could have been. You seem to make much of the fact that the ad spoke only to 50 subjects when there are 65 believed to be in the R310 set. There are many pre-war sets that incorrectly advertise the total number that make up the set. And BTW, where does it say on the Butterfinger ads that there are 50, 65 or any number available? In fact, only seventeen of these so-called "box-toppers" are known. Should we assume that the other 48 simply have not been discovered yet, 87 years later? Maybe Butterfinger only produced a small number of subjects.

For that matter, you have claimed that the bad blood between Babe Ruth and the Curtiss company forecloses any likelihood that the Ruth premium would have been available through General Gum if it was affiliated with Curtiss. Then why is the Ruth picture found in the "regular" R310 set if that is a Butterfinger product proudly and widely advertised by the Curtiss company?
Ruth said OK use my picture for your set but no way on the premium because I hate you?
Your right you never said they Must be R310's that were issued by General Gum, You said that 1934 General gum cards "Are" cataloged as R310's. Despite no facts to back your claim ( you mention some evidence but don't provide it).
I dont make much if the fact that there are 65 Subjects in the R310 set ( plus variations) there simply (And I will use your word) Are.
A little reseach will show that according to reports from the time there was bad blood between Curtis and Ruth. If you take the time... and no one says you have to, you can read about it for yourself. It is a fairly famous copyright/ Licensing case.
As for licensing my understanding is compinies or venders that sell card sets obtain the license. Then they sell the product in this case a set of cards to Curtis candy. Very different from Curtis approching Ruth or Christy Walsh and negotiating a license. My first experience with this sort licensing was 1977 Discs. One vender (MSA) gets licensing then sells discs to many companies. The M104 set was licensed in a similar fashion.
As for the Box toppers ( not sure why you call them so called Boxtoppers.. but it certinly has a dramatic effect) they were clearly a display item ment to be thrown away. How many goudry window sheets are around. Again ment to be thrown away and then there was the paper drives during the war. I have seen pictures of 1952 Topps displays, plentiful in 1952 but very scarce today. No real mystery aside from, why so many Cardinals.
So I am still unclear what Facts Truth or Evidence there is to support the claim that R310's were issued by General gum? And as You cleary stated that is the point.
J