Thread: Mears Auction
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2008, 05:54 PM
Administrator

Default Mears Auction

Posted By: DJ

Knowing what we know (and what I know) about auction houses, there are only a few that I truly trust. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with this as I feel they are trying to build a reputation slowly, but I can see how some can take offense to an authenticating company selling goods that they authenticate themselves, making the hobby believe that they are "biased", and then shifting the way they operate. What if PSA/DNA started auctioning off signatures?

The funny thing is that the word "shill" gets tossed around often lately and this company hammers a point there is no shill bidding allowed. Their minimum bids are on the heavy side ($100 for a Paul Hornung signed 11x14?), is it safe to assume that the only auction companies that we accuse are the ones that start the bidding off at a fraction of what it should sell for?

I'm not saying they shill, but they have been mentioned here. Mastro Auctions whose minimum bid is usually 1/8th to 1/10th of what the final hammer price is and Hyee who starts everything off at .99 to begin with?

DJ