View Single Post
Old 04-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
I am going to guess it was a Rexall drugstore. I think Topps had a distribution deal either directly with Rexall or a jobber that had a large number of Rexall outlets. They also had a deal with Woolworth's in 1952, although I am not sure if that was only in the NYC area. Most distribution would have been through tobacco jobbers long known to the Shorin family, probably dating back to 1910-14 or so.

The highs took some time to spread westward in '52 and early '53. Some went south but not many I think. They had a deal in place for Canada as well, it was made to cover second (80-130) series forward and the highs would have been part of it. That must have been uncut sheets as shipped as the Canadian packs only should have four cards (typical of Canada at the time) but I am not 100% positive on that last point.
Dave

A long time friend of mine, Ralph, who grew up near the Smokey Mountains in North Carolina acquired many 1952 T Hi#'s in late 1952 and early 1953.There was a
Ben Franklin 5 & 10 cent store in his neighborhood that was stocked with many of the Hi#'s. Interesetingly, they didn't have Lo#'s (#1-80) till the Summer of '52.
And, these cards were the 1st series Red Backs.

I grew up in Hillside, NJ and the 1st series BLack Backs were available in the Spring of '52. Hi#'s were plentiful from the corner "drug store/soda fountain" shoppe
were we lived. Here are the 5 cards from the last pack I bought when I was a kid in the Fall of '52.

TED Z