View Single Post
Old 05-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpeck100 View Post
I just went through that thread. Nice work picking up the 1972 STP Richard Petty.

I purchased two boxes of the 1986 Panini Supersport and had no clue who Senna was. I saw a few sales a year or so ago of the sticker and thought I should check and see if I had any and if so send one in. I was really hoping to get a PSA 9 on it and was very pleased with the result.

He also has a sticker in the 1988 set and I am just waiting on a PSA special to send in the stickers I think are worth grading from the set I bought and he was one of them.

If there are any other drivers in either Panini set that you know of that might be worth something graded let me know.
Thanks for the nice words on the Petty. After not seeing any '72 Petty cards on eBay in a couple years, there have actually been three or four more 1972 Petty STP cards that have shown up on ebay since I won that one. Lorenzen with car is really the legendary rarity in that set, although Bobby Allison is tough as well. Even a couple Lorenzen with car cards have shown up on eBay in recent months after some veteran STP collectors being unable to find a single example of the card over the course of several decades. I currently own nine of the 11 cards in the '72 STP set.

The owner of the only complete '72 STP set in the PSA registry has broken up his set in recent months. I really kick myself for not putting in a bigger snipe on the Allison card when it was auctioned off a couple months ago. Like you with wrestling cards, I like collecting racing because there are only a few individual cards that sell for more than $500 (although it does make me throw up in my mouth a little bit to see some Danica Patrick autograph cards approach that figure).

I am not real familiar with other cards in the Panini set. Most of my knowledge is on the stock car sets/major cards or American open wheel sets.

Mario Andretti's rookie card from the 1969 Panini Campioni Dello Sport set may be something you would be interested in. There is both a 1969 and 1970 version of the card. Obviously, the 1969 card would be the one to pursue. Both versions also have a "regular" back and a more rare "Valida" back. The 1969 version of the card is No. 117 (the 1970 card is No. 56 in that set). A Panini 1969 Mario Andretti is not hard to find, but it can take a while to find a PSA 9 (there are six of them in the population report and no PSA 10s) at auction instead of an overpriced BIN.

https://www.psacard.com/pop/multi-sp...lo-sport/43156

Last edited by Bored5000; 05-13-2017 at 04:47 PM.