View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 07:36 AM
Steve Asmus

I buy a lot of non-sport CGC cards, they bring about $ .60 on the dollar of PSA values. It has allowed my 7 year old to fill some holes in his sets for a lot cheaper than PSA, and gives a little peace of mind the card is potentially not counterfeit. Their grading is no better or worse than anybody else PSA or Beckett, the only thing I have found is non sports cards in their holders are across the board cheaper. As I remember a lot of people made a lot of money in this hobby buying SGC cards in the past and re-submitting to PSA because they had the same issue with resale prices. Maybe it's not the worst thing in the world that it is going to cost $ 50- $ 100 to have a card graded by PSA going forward, it's going to eliminate re-subbing cards over and over again to get a higher grade.

Either way, I think CGC has a place in this hobby, they offer an encapsulation service, and with PSA's price increases their prices are probably in line with the product you are getting. I just don't see a lot of high dollar cards going into their holders until they can prove they add value to the card, and so for at least in non-sports cards they have not shown they do. My son is putting together a large sub to go to CGC of Pokemon cards, they are not cards he has a desire to sell, but are basically the key cards in sets, and he wants graded cards. When he has cards that he wants to sell we bite the bullet, pay the premium and send to PSA or Beckett, because they yield a better ROI on the grading costs. I would guess that The BB cards I submit to them will be the same way, not cards that will be sold, but key cards that I just want in a holder for my PC, much as SGC graded cards in my collection.