View Single Post
Old 11-15-2022, 12:57 PM
E. Angyal

Default Bottom right corner

Leon, it says “copyright 1910 by the Haines Photo Co. Conneaut, O(hio).”

Hank, nowhere in this thread do I state that it’s an original Type 1 photo. The original Type 1 (or at least one of them) sold at Christie’s in 2016 as I’ve already mentioned in this thread. I also posted the Mears auction that this exact item came from. It is possible that in 1910 that someone (Haines?, a Cleveland Newspaper?, etc.) could have created a lithograph that resembles a photo, but not be an actual photo. I don’t think I’m going too far out on a limb or being too reckless to suggest this. Is there any way to date the ink without spending a crazy amount of money? I contacted Troy with Mears yesterday and he said in an email to me “these were printed in very limited quantities and distributed to players. Most teams have less than a handful of known examples”. Now I cant prove or disprove this statement, and Troy didn’t tell me how/where he got this info from. Also puzzling is why wasn’t that info included in the 2013 Mears auction description as you would think it would be an important selling point. So I’m back to where I started. When, where, how, and for what reason was it made?

Last edited by Angyale; 11-15-2022 at 01:20 PM.