View Single Post
Old 04-25-2008, 04:15 AM
Administrator

Default 14 inch c1910 baseball plate

Posted By: CarltonHendricks

Thanks Mark. I was down at the local Goodwill dropping off some clothes to donate when I noticed it on the half price table....Just kidding, I got it on eBay.

OK so, we have conjecture. I know that's hard to believe on net 54. But that's kind of what I wanted, some discussion on it anyway...Alright so far Mark (Login perezfan) seems to give it a vote of confidence, and wishes he'd have paid closer attention to it, and that it is "truly special"

Then Butch and Co. hold that there was lengthy discussion now absent, that produced a "minority" of Pottery/Porcelain aficionados who suspected the plate contemporary.

Then Anonymous (Login Perez fan), who has the same perezfan login as Mark, expresses doubt it is a period piece based on the style of the "Two Men Down" caption vignette. And feels it has "an intentionally antique feel, and a possibly contrived nostalgic appearance"

Thank you all for those opinions, however I'm not persuaded it is contemporary by them. We do not have access to Butch and Co.'s referenced discussion, so we do not know what the minority dissenters based there opinion on. Moreover, their "minority" status implies they didn't persuade many of their peers in the Pottery and Porcelain community.

Neither do I find Anonymous (Login perezfan)'s position a compelling argument, based on a 1909 yard long style print in my collection titled "The High Hurdles" by Hibberd VB Kline, which employs a remarkably similar title vignette seen below.

Anonymous , In answer to your question if there are any markings. That is a very good question. I have not received the plate yet, coming from a gal in Canada (who may know about the lost discussion) However I have hope there is a marking based on the photo below with the red circle around what appears to be a makers mark.

Once I get it in my hand (any day now) so I can examine it in person perhaps I'll be able to glean more information to establish it's vintage and origin.