View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 08:33 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tha-rock View Post
This is a good question and I asked a similar question here a few years ago with an expensive sheet I had that was signed front and back. Most folks on here encouraged me to keep it intact. If I separated the signatures I was going to lose a few signed on the opposite side. The most valuable signatures were Ruth and Lazzeri and they were too close together to separate into nice individual cuts.

I asked about the value of the item as a single piece and as separate signatures and was told that anyone who purchased the piece would likely only be concerned about the Ruth and Lazzeri signatures and would not be concerned about the other autographs. Two of the other important autographs were HOF umpire Bill McGowan, and 1920s Tiger star, Bob "Fats" Fothergill who died in 1938 at the age of 40 and is a very tough autograph to find. These were the only examples of McGowan or Fothergill I own and it seemed unreasonable to let those go "for free" if I sold the sheet and the buyer was only paying for Ruth and Lazzeri. I chose to cut the sheet and keep the autographs. The Ruth/ Lazzeri and Fothergill are now slabbed and McGowan and Goose Goslin will be in my next PSA submission. I also salvaged a few other cuts which wont be sent to PSA, but are notable signatures.

Each group of autographs presents it's own case for keeping intact or separation. Use your best judgement and whatever you decide will be right for you.
Try to find his other post with pictures: two sheets, 1939 NY Yankees with Dimaggio, Gehrig, McCarthy, Gomez, and others. Beautiful! I'd keep them intact and slab the whole sheet. The Gehrig is a winner. Very clean. Just fine to separate from the album in my opinion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo