View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 07:45 PM
Marty

Those are beauties, Darren! Congratulations! As Darren knows, I've been a fan of Bob Laughlin's work for many years, and have always enjoyed sharing and talking about Bob and his cards and issues. (Try me! ) If Darren doesn't mind, maybe I can share some info in this thread that I have picked up over the years. I am also thankful for some of the great info Fleerfan has posted on his blogspot over the years - a great resource as well!

Speaking to the issue at hand, the 1978 Fleer/Good Humor set, they are tough to find, especially in top end shape. I had a good run for a few of the early years of eBay grabbing these when they would show up in small lots - my Laughlin searches missed very few listings for the first many years of eBay, and I would estimate that a small lot of these 1978 cards would only show up maybe once or twice a year and I was happy to pick up some of these (and almost ALWAYS from NY, NJ, or PA). About 10-15 years ago, I was exchanging emails with a Fleer issue expert, and he didn't believe that these cards even existed - sent him scans to prove they did! In the past 10 years, they have become much more sought after (especially the Clemente, which is maybe my all time favorite card), and the scarcity is better understood, so they are being listed individually at some pretty good prices. I would love to see a pack of these, but I also have never seen one. Pretty cool that someone here (quitcrab!) remembers getting them from Good Humor trucks. I have some of these 1978 cards that show wax from the packs - I have little doubt they were issued in some sort of pack. Since no wrapper has ever been uncovered, for a while I thought maybe they just reused the Fleer wrappers from 1970 or 1971, but they both had a 10c price on the wrapper, which probably wouldn't have been a logical price point in 1978. The mystery remains!

Darren, the rest of the 1978 set is equally tough. You should keep going! Looking at the backs, you can easily distinguish 1971s from 1978s from the card stock, although I don't think PSA grades them distinctly. If I had to guess, I would say the 1978s were maybe printed in about 2-3% of the quantity of the nationally released 1971 set. Just an educated guess though!

Happy collecting!