View Single Post
Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 PM

I think the word forensic is a word the average person on the street understands, even if he can't literally define. Kind of like authentic. Both words have a ring to them. We know what they mean even if we don't know what the mean.

A common meaning is forensic scientist-- in any area, medicine to psychology-- is someone trained and certified to provide evidence in a court of a law. So supposedly, a forensic expert in autographs is certified by whatever forensic body and is able to testify in court.

There are looser definitions.

Actually, to be come certified as a forensic autograph expert by the governing bodies, you have to do a lot of stuff. You need at least a BS, often take addition education in the area, pass tests and I think intern with an other certified expert for two years. So, whatever you think of the status, it isn't like sending in two box tops and $5.

However, if you aren't certified by any forensic board but clearly are an expert/knowledgeable in your field-- a Ph.d. microbiology professor asked by a lawyer to testify in a suit about hospital cleanliness--, you may be allowed to testify in court as an expert. Who's allowed to be an expert witness in a case is up to the judge, and the certification may not be deemed necessary for Professor Smith. In the eyes of a judge, the Ph.d. in microbiology may be worth a lot more than some forensic board certificate.

One thing is a judge may be a learned and sharp guy, but he has a J.D. and hasn't studied in all the forensic areas. He's not an MD or biochemist or a civil engineer. Thus, he'll look at tangible outside indications that person is qualified to testify-- Ph.d., certified by a forensic, board, has been okayed as expert witness in other cases, etc. In the topic of this thread, the judge may have an MENSA IQ, a law degree from Yale and on his free time wrote a history of New Haven, but chances are he's not an avid autograph collector and knows the heart the loops in Mickey Mantle's signature. In fact, you may be relieved the judge in your civil suit isn't the type who places bids on eBay autographs during his lunch break and posts comments on an autograph board.

It should be noted that some judges are wary of those so-called those certified forensic autograph experts, and don't allow them to testify as experts. The judges consider their opinions unreliable and/or scientifically questionable. They likely experienced where expert opinions were later clearly demonstrated to be errors, too many dueling opinions, and also likely grew to question the whole methodology/logic used by experts. So, in cases, a judge may share opinion with many members of this board about the folks.

Interestingly, I saw Judge Judy where the person brought in a forensic document expert to testify about writing on a document and Judge Judy said she thought the expert was wrong. He even showed her how he analyzed the writing on the document, and she didn't buy it.

But, as I said, in a company title it's just a word that people seem to understand, as they've watched those law and crime shows.

I believe that Texas A & M has a new masters program in forensic document examination. As Texas A & M is a good science and research school, the masters degree may mean something.

Last edited by drc; 01-28-2012 at 03:05 PM.