Thread: RIP Don Sutton
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Scott your collection never ceases to amaze me.
Thanks Mike! Although Don Sutton was not a no-hit pitcher, I had the opportunity to watch him pitch quite a bit through his career, especially when he was on the Dodgers and Angels. He was a personal favorite.

My boy Nolan Ryan was a teammate of Sutton's briefly when he was on the Astros in the early 1980's.

At one point Ryan commented on the way that Sutton effectively managed his career to the eventual trip to Cooperstown.
Nolan mentioned that Sutton always had a plan on how to reach the milestones necessary to gain induction.

Early in his career, Sutton's pitching arsenal was very effective in helping him get his wins. When his velo dropped and his ERA started rising later in his career Sutton realized that he needed to join teams that scored more runs. After leaving the Astros, Sutton joined the Brewers (Harvey's Wallbanger's) and the Angels that both boasted lineups that scored a lot of runs.

His strategy paid off, as Sutton won 324 games and struck out over 3500 batters in his lengthy career. The man had a plan!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 01-20-2021 at 07:04 AM.