View Single Post
Old 06-20-2018, 06:30 PM

Default Cleveland Indians PCs - Thanks for sharing!

This is one of those areas of collecting that is just not organized yet. The Cleveland Indians PCs from around 1948-62 are in a disarray, with somewhere around 8-10 distinct sets, and perhaps more. You probably noticed the same cards with block letters, italic letters, and no letters in some cases. The key of course will be differences in lettering, player uniforms, and PC backs, but even then I don't know if we can ever say definitively a particular set is complete unless we can account for every player, coach, manager, etc. (and in some cases, veterans such as Tris Speaker).

The 1963-69 PCs are a bit more organized. There was a great article in SCD a few years back that offered up a checklist, including numerous poses of many players. I suspect this grouping could possibly be multiple sets as well, but I have been satisfied with the moniker "1963-69 Cleveland Indians PCs" in my collection for some time now.

The 1970s is covered fairly well between The Sports Collectors Bible and the Standard Catalog from around 2000 through a few years latter or so - unfortunately you can't find them in more recent versions.

I have a smattering of cards across all of those years, but no firm checklists yet other than those mentioned. Looks like quite a nice group of cards!