View Single Post
Old 04-11-2016, 12:15 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
If anyone has read my post as a complaint against the dealer, it was not meant that way. He can do his business in whatever fashion he desires. I simply am interested in what is the norm and I appreciate the replies.

In his defense, the dealer DID tell me he could do paypal "friends and family" when he got back home and would mail me the card, so he was trying to find a way for it to work. I've certainly paid that way for lots of cards but none of this value, so it was my choice to thank him and decline.

No, I don't expect a dealer to bend over backwards for a buyer but, as someone mentions...the dealers are the ones there to sell their stock. If it is credit card fees they are worried about, I would think a dealer would just roll that overhead cost into the price of the card. That's what most online dealers do.

As a side question...If plastic is used as a debit card, are there any fees to the dealer?

As far as chargebacks...I don't know what to think about that aspect. Maybe the in-person collectibles market runs on cash (I'm finding out now) but most of the rest of the world and online-world runs on credit cards. It's just a cost of doing business.

Again, thanks for all the comments!
I don't find any fault with you at all. If you're story happened as you say it did (and I absolutely believe it did), then shame on the dealer for poor negotiation skills. I was in sales (large ticket items) most of my life until a career change 9 years ago. The first step in negotiating any large ticket item is to ask the buyer how they intend to pay. It does two things. (1) It's lets the seller know how much room they have to negotiate. For example if the buyer is paying with a credit card, the seller can factor that fee into the price. (2) It serves as a qualifying question - does the seller/company accept the form of payment the buyer intends to use? In your case if he would have asked that question and you told him that you intend to pay with a credit card, then he could have said he didn't accept credit cards and it would have ended any negotiation saving you both time. So, in your case, shame on the dealer for not asking that question. Again, this is only for larger ticket items.