View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 07:41 AM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huysmans View Post
My advice will be different...

Do not take any advice or suggestions from board members on what to collect, how to collect, where to purchase, what to look for, etc.
Part of the fun of collecting is the learning and exploring of the hobby, and this is best done by diving in first hand, gaining experience, and personalizing your collecting goals that will evolve over time.

You never really know what you'll end up liking and where it will lead you...
I would second this. Baseball cards are like women - you don't fall in love with one because someone tells you to. You date a few, give it some thought and consideration, and you'll find yourself drawn to a set or two that you really think are special.

So, with that in mind, I don't want to play matchmaker exactly, but I do suggest you at least consider my favorite set: T202. It sounds like you aren't very familiar with pre-war cards or the players from those days. Well, here's what a T202 offers:
1. 2 colorful end panels, very much like the popular T205 set
2. An action photo from about 1908-1911 (how cool is that!)
3. Perhaps best of all, each of those 3 panels has a very interesting biography of the players depicted, so you can learn a little about those guys, and baseball at that time, while holding a card that's well over a hundred years old.

And, you can get ungraded ones in the $50 range, and often times, cards with Hall of Famers in the center panel are considered commons (A Great Batsman - Lajoie, for example.)

Now, go out and date a few pre-war cards. Just be sure to get home before midnight.