View Single Post
Old 01-15-2022, 11:33 AM

Default Which state(s) have you gotten an autograph in?

I thought it'd be fun to discuss this and to discuss the places where we've been working on our hobby. Traveling and collecting are two things I really enjoy, especially when I'm able to put them together.

If you want to add who you got, when, etc., that'd be cool, too.

1. Illinois - Born and raised, got countless things here from shows to games, charity events, just different signings in general in my home state.

2. Indiana - I've been here since late 2019, got John Laskowski to sign a Sports Illustrated for me at the Culver's he owns in Bloomington in August 2020, then the very next week, I went to the Indiana Boxing Hall of Fame two get Michael Spinks on a pair of Sports Illustrateds, and Buster Douglas on his one from 1990. If it counts, I dropped off Damon Bailey's SI at the warehouse he owns about an hour away from me, which he inked and I picked it up the next day after I dropped it off.

3. Oklahoma - I was in Oklahoma from August 2017 through October 2019, got to have Steve Owens, Billy Sims and Jason White sign a Sports Illustrated Heisman edition previously signed by nine other Heisman winners.

4. Texas - When I was in Oklahoma, I'd make some trips to some Texas Rangers games at the old Globe Life Park in Arlington, was able to get some in June 2019 when I got Hall of Fame broadcaster Eric Nadel on a ticket, Mark McLemore and Daryl Boston on a card each and Shelby Miller on two cards.

5. Ohio - I've gotten a couple in Ohio. Last May, I went to a show and Greg Pruitt signed all three Sports Illustrated issues for me, plus a card. Then, I went to see my Cubbies play at Great American Ballpark last July, got former Reds pitcher Sam LeCure to sign a Reds mini helmet for me, the kind you get in an ice cream helmet, during the postgame.

6. Colorado - I went to Denver last year on a trip for my 30th birthday, and was fortunate to meet Dave Logan, voice of the Broncos, after his radio show. He signed his 1980 Sports Illustrated for me.

7. Iowa - As part of the 30th trip, I went to Davenport, Iowa, met with Bill Rodgers, signing all three SI covers he appeared on.

8. Missouri - My newest addition, Jan. 9 I went to a show in St. Louis to see Bob Lilly, who inked both Sports Illustrated covers for me - 1963 and 1967, plus an 8x10 I previously got signed by Jim Brown

Not a state, but if you want to count Washington, D.C., I went to see my Blackhawks play the Capitals in D.C. in October 2008, with some former Caps players signing before the game - Rod Langway, Gary Rissling and one other alumnus were signing before the game.

I had those three sign a complementary Division Champions banner from 2007-08 that was handed out before the game, and Langway signed an Opening Night puck that I bought with the H.O.F. inscription that I still proudly have on display in my room back home.

What about all of you? Which states have you gotten a signature in? It might be fun to share and discuss.