View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 01:20 AM

Default c1890 Sterling Football Flask by Tiffany - My finale P/U for 2010

Photobucket

5 3/4" tall x 3 1/2" wide x 1" deep
I got this c1890 Sterling Tiffany flask in the mail Friday...this would be my Christmas present and year end finale pick/up for 2010. It'll be fun to research and do a story on. The football scene appears to have been rendered in a combination of low relief work and engraving. I understand Tiffany may have records that can shed light on it, perhaps who it was made for, date made and sold etc....maybe even who designed it. After skimming a book I have on Tiffany Silver I believe the "M" in the marking would be for Edward C. Moore, head designer for Tiffany & Co.’s silver department in the 1890's. Although, Moore held the reins of the Silver department, there were probably many designers under him, and I'm interested to I.D. who actually conceived and executed my flask. In the very small realm of sports art in the decorative arts of the late 19th century in America, I believe this would be the pinnacle of football flasks. Actually up till this flask I only recall seeing football represented in relief a few times in 19th century American silver...the Brooklyn Eagle trophy (location unknown, seen only in illustration), a Yale football match safe that sold in Leland's in 2002, link here, and the c1887 Reed and Barton box I did a story on link here. As football flasks go...game over...it took me 23 years to find a piece like this!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Last edited by CarltonHendricks; 12-23-2010 at 12:53 AM.