View Single Post
Old 01-23-2020, 08:12 PM
Curt

Interesting. I have a semi-related story and will probably never know what really happened. I posted on my blog for anyone that might be able to help track down Bill Haas. He was on 2 Topps cards in the 60s, a 63T with the Dodgers and a 64T with the Mets. I guess he was supposed to be a big prospect for the Dodgers, but he got cold and they dumped him. His career never really panned out.

Someone saw the blog entry and emailed me, stating that they were friends with him and would talk to him and try to help me get an autograph. Long story short, The guy wants me to call him, so I do and then he ends up conferencing in Bill to the call and we chat for a few minutes. He tells a few short baseball stories and seems like a really decent guy. He agrees to sign a card and I end up mailing it, at the same time with several other requests to other players that were almost considered sure things. I figured Haas was too.

I end up getting all of them back, EXCEPT Haas. I never bothered to actually track the packages (I had tracking on both) to make sure my packaged arrived or to see if he ever mailed the return package. I want to think it just got lost and maybe this will motivate me to dig up the tracking numbers and check.

The card is not a cheap common either, because its a higher number series and he shared it with Rusty Staub!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l1600.jpg (76.5 KB, 136 views)