View Single Post
Old 02-05-2022, 08:16 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by davev View Post
Hello everyone on this thread. I have read with great interest all of the posts and am impressed with all of the expertise and camaraderie.

I have recently come into possession (they were gathered by a past family member) of a booklet of "Champion Athlete and Prize Fighter" cards (some labelled Series 2). I am looking for information regarding them.

Most of them do not have any adds on their backs (does that mean that they are Canadian cards? which would make sense given where in the family they were collected).

I think most of the cards are in decent condition (so any information concerning proper handling of them would also be appreciated).

I also have a bunch of "Cowboy Series" and "Indian Life in the '60'S" and one "Wild Animals of Canada" cards.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Pics would help, but the Champion Athlete and Prize Fighter Series cards without the brand advertisements on back are probably C52 cards, the Canadian (presumed Canadian, at least) version of T218. It was issued in 2 series, the first of which is primarily cards from the first series of T218 (and a smattering of second series cards, with duplicated card numbering on reverse). The second series of C52 mimics the third series of T218. C52 (whether it should be part of T218 or a separate set is arguable) is tougher than Hassan or Mecca backed cards. They are not super valuable, as there are not a lot of collectors of them, but they can bring a good premium and are fairly tough cards, particularly if someone is looking for a specific subject.

The Cowboy Series cards would be T53. They were issued with Hassan backs from two factories, 49 cards to a set. Going off memory, I believe they are a late 1909 set. Some clones of the artwork were issued in subsequent years, so if your cards have different advertising form Hassan they are from one of these cloned sets.

The Indian Life in the 60's series would be T73, 50 in a set. Issued with Hassan, and US Marine. US Marine backs are much tougher and carry a good premium.

T53 and T73 are not very valuable, but they are very cool cards. I have a set of T53 from both factories. Nice find!