View Single Post
Old 09-28-2022, 04:18 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by todeen View Post
I give leeway to catchers for the wear and tear of a career. It's physically demanding on parts of the body that other fielding positions don't touch. So I give bigger points to longevity for a catcher that can play the position consistently. I know leadership has been greatly diminished, but catchers on these elite teams (Yankees, Cardinals, SF, etc) bring something special that supports the team year in and year out. Most people can name the catchers on these elite teams that were competitive for a decade. Posey, Yadi, and Jorge are always in these conversations.

On a different note, I also feel that our collective standards for the HOF have lagged behind the changing use of players. It's a big problem for pitchers, and it's a problem for catchers to. My best example is Felix Hernandez. He should be a HOF, having his career stats sabotaged by horrendous play of a terrible organization.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk

Longevity is worth a lot. I do not think that playing 19 years is enough to merit the hall of fame. Are Bob Boone and Jason Kendall hall of famers? You get points for being there, but there has to be something more than just being there too. Even the Hall's greatest compilers have more highlights (measured in their own, objective performance) than Yadier. Excellent glove, always there, below league average bat.

Being on a good team is, I think, no reason to elect anyone. The Hall is an individual achievement.