View Single Post
Old 01-26-2021, 09:35 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyruscobb View Post
I could not agree more. I’ve never understood why people congratulate others for their recent pickups. “Congratulations on that graded 7 1952 Topps Mantle.” What special skill did he demonstrate, other than having the funds to write a really large check? We are really congratulating his medical degree, law degree, or ability to operate a business, bank, or hedge fund. You hit the nail on the head - anyone with a checkbook can become a collecting God without any special skill, knowledge or technique.
I disagree. There's a member here who could buy any card he wants, and sometimes he does, who is one of the most gracious and supportive people here. He's also is a very knowledgeable collector with regards to the history of baseball and the importance of certain issues. I can get excited and congratulate him on a 20K acquisition that I know is important to his collection the same way I get excited for my friend Andy when he scores an E90-1 caramel for $40. Or a member who had been looking for a Clemente panel for 30 years, think about it, 30 years, it ain't about the money, it never has been. I've seen JollyElm score one off random stuff on the cheap all the time, I'm excited for him because he's excited about his acquisition and yes we should congratulate each other for our victories against the outside world. This is a special placed filled with really knowledgeable people of great character.

The guy you're talking about spends 5 mil on a Mantle and wears a t-shirt that says Dope on it for his Photo Op to promote his brand. I guarantee he could never attain the depth of knowledge that long time members here have spent decades acquiring. It's not about the money man, it never has been.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-

Last edited by Casey2296; 01-26-2021 at 09:36 PM.