View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 06:57 PM
Tony Ooten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I look at this hobby and my collection a little differently. My focus is to build a collection of cards combining what I collected as a kid and what currently appeals to me as I go down the collector path fine tuning as I go. It has to be a collection that has meaning to me. It also has to be both challenging and enjoyable.
I like the appeal of a well curated collection with focus, If I occasionally overpay for a card it doesn't really matter to me because it fits my collection, as long as I'm not foolish about it and it's within my budget. So after I'm gone and my kid opens those suitcases with Al Crisafulli's kid to decide what its worth and if my Son wants to sell all or part of it that's up to him, I would imagine though, that he would say "that's a helluva collection you built there pops".
Ive been blessed to have the ability to earn enough to spend money on things like baseball cards and I'm grateful every day for that. Above all, it has to be fun though. Ive done many things in my life that weren't enjoyable so the minute this hobby is no longer fun I'm out, I could stop today and still have a very nice collection.

The things that I consider priceless here are the friendships and connections I've made, you can't buy those at any price.
I'm catching up on this thread from the bottom up. when I read this post.... especially this part : "that's a helluva collection you built there pops".

It reminded me of this:

just over three years ago, I was going thru a divorce and had reason to assign a value to my collection, so.... I cataloged and photographed/scanned everything and sent to several dealers asking them to make an offer to buy everything lock stock and barrel. I received offers from several, but one gave this compliment along with his offer: "You have the most solid low-grade collection I've ever seen."

He didn't have to write that. I remember smiling and welling up a bit when I read that, and I've thought of the compliment many many times since then. I'm even smiling and welling up a bit now!

Anyway, thanks for the post..... it resonates fully with me.

Last edited by tonyo; 01-27-2021 at 07:11 PM.