View Single Post
Old 01-29-2021, 10:48 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Maybe this is just my own opinion but we've all been watching this happen slowly over a very long period of time. There is no doubt that the prices are where they're at because of all the shill bidding that enabled this situation to become a reality. It is almost impossible to gauge the actual market value of anything because so much of the price point is set by eBay sales that are either inflated by self-bidding or artificial in that the card didn't actually sell.

I don't feel it's an overnight phenomenon or really even related to the pandemic. This board has had thread after thread about what some sellers are doing and I feel as though this is the culmination of a shill-ridden hobby rather than the result of pandemic panic buying.

It can be stopped of course. But it would mean sacrificing "stuff". A seller has something you want, you know you're bidding against yourself if you bid on their material, and it's going to take the hobby's collective will power to instead let the stuff go. Dealers who are bad for the hobby will only exit the hobby when there's no more business for them.
You think the answer to rising prices is shill bidding? Did the dude who paid $5.2 for the Mantle 9 get shilled? The dude who just bought a Bird/Magic 10 for $720k on Collectable was shill bid? That’s the simple explanation for rising prices?

Is there shill bidding in this hobby? Yes. Are there people paying crazy prices? Yes. Is that the explanation? I don’t believe so. There’s just a ton of new money in the hobby; that’s the simple explanation.