View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 08:53 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wimberleycardcollector View Post
From my 30 plus years in graphic design, advertising and printing the technology and ability is there to create a perfect counterfeit vintage card. Vintage stocks can also be found. It's an expensive and time consuming project to faithfully recreate it but someone might try now that the stakes are getting higher. Cost has generally been the prohibitive factor in the past to make it worthwhile in my opinion.
I agree it's getting pretty scary with all the doctoring out there and fakes getting by grading companies. Makes me feel better that most of my nice vintage cards came from family collections or friends and were collected mostly before 1980. I'm extremely careful when buying vintage now especially since I collect raw cards.
I agree that the technology exists to make a counterfeit that could not be visually detected. Whether it can be made to also elude all measures of forensic detection is another question, as to accomplish that more is needed than just old paper stock. But given the financial incentive to do so, I wouldn't bet against it. The bottom line to me is that if an unknown copy of a highly desirable card (e.g., Baltimore News Ruth) was to suddenly turn up, without provenance to establish its existence to a period when the financial incentive to manufacture a counterfeit did not exist, I would not have the comfort level to consider acquiring it. And by provenance I am talking about more than just the story of the current owner attesting that it has been in the family for many years.

I will add that the existence of provenance IMO will begin to matter more and more in regard to condition rarity cards (e.g., 52 Topps Mantle). In that instance, the issue, besides whether the card is counterfeit, also is whether the card has been worked on. How many 1952 Topps Mantles 8 and higher do you think have not had work done on them? With that card, I think in time those that can be documented to come from the Rosen find will begin to sell for significant premiums. Being uncirculated cards not only are they much more likely to be unaltered, but also they posses a sheen and border whiteness that IMO give them noticeably greater eye appeal than non Rosen-find copies.