View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 04:54 PM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

Quote:
Originally Posted by campyfan39 View Post
Visually better? I don't think there is any way to display a card that is visually better than just the card itself. PSA with the bright red looks awful on most cards IMO.

When you see a graded card the first thing you look at is the number. Then you scan the card for flaws to figure out why it got that number grade. "Graded a 3? Why? Oh yeah, there is the crease/wrinkle."

When a card is displayed "raw" you just look at the card itself and appreciate the beauty of it. Graders are geniuses at marketing bc even that term "raw" has negative connotations to it, as if it is incomplete without their subjective, costly opinion. I prefer the term "pure."

At a card and coin show in the 80's I ask my late father about the grades on coins. He assured me that would never happen to cards as it would "totally detract from the beauty." Sadly he passed years ago before the advent of grading so I cannot ask him for his opinion now that it is reality.

One last thing then I will get off my soapbox haha. Just out of curiosity I went and unscrewed one of my nicest cards that has been in a 1/2 inch screwdown for more than a decade and a half. No problems at all. I think the issies are when they are stacked and all of that weight compresses. That and humidity etc.
I think you are only considering graded slabs, I don’t mind the Beckett or older flip sgc personally, however as someone who does not submit that was not what I was talking about. As it is just preference really, I use mostly magnetic UltraPro holders as I like the shine, look and quality as well as how they enhance my card. I have hundreds and never had one open unwanted and the proper thickness keeps movement to less than a graded slab without an ugly baggie in it.

I can’t imagine having piles of half inch or three quarter inch oversized slabs and having a sizable collection. I have at minimum 300 thousand cards and it already takes up an entire room. It’s just preferable for looks and space to me.

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.